Sunday, September 18, 2011

My Personal Research Journey

I chose to research how the parenting practices of low income families contribute to the social emotional development of young children.  I wanted to know if their lack of parenting skills hindered their children's social emotional development.  Being a former early childhood educator and now a parent educator, I have been involved with families whose children have been diagnosed with behavioral problems and considered at risk due to poverty.  I have observed how the parents interact with their children and how the children interact in the classroom.  These children have delays in their cognitive, language and their social emotional development and it seemed more that their parents lack of skills and resources contributed to their delays than their being a special need with these children.  I wanted to know how much the parenting styles contributed to this delay.

I am not sure if my research topic is too specific or if I should be more specific because I am having difficulty finding sufficient information to begin my study.  If there is any advice anyone has that can help me make the topic more specific or know of any other resources it would be a big help.

No comments:

Post a Comment