Sunday, June 17, 2012

Profile of a Volunteer

The person I chose to view is my Aunt Marie.  Every since I was little, she has been the one to volunteer to take all the children during the summer, she takes care of children and families in the neighborhood and she still has to work two jobs.  She has always been the person more like my grandmother and tries to take care of the world.  Every year during Christmas time, she puts a list together for needy families around the area and gets people to buy things the families need and toys for the children to have.  When she sees a need in the community, she tries to fill it.  She feels like no child should go without if she can help it.  She takes in kids around her neighborhood and they always want to stay with her.  She is also very involved with family as well.  She tries to make it to every niece, nephew, and cousins' special occasion.  She is the only one in the family who makes this effort and she is 1 of 10 siblings, so this is saying and doing alot! 

I know people appreciate the efforts that my aunt puts forth on all occasions.  She tries to make sure the community gets the things they need and still make time for her family.  I always remember her as my favorite aunt because she was one of the ones who took myself and most of my cousins on vacation during the summer.  And that meant a lot to me.  People always know they can come to her when they need something and I'm sure that is comforting to them.  I realized that it is hard for me to voluteer my extra time because I am often trying to keep time for my son, but he's getting older and I feel that my knowledge and efforts could be used for helping others.  I am trying to decide where I want these efforts to go and how to best apply my time.  I want to do more for my community and am looking for a way to fulfill that in the best way possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment